Old Bob Wills video from 1951

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Old Bob Wills video from 1951

Postby rhirvine » Wed Oct 14, 2020 5:03 pm

There was many numbers that are on this video but what I most noticed was the guitarist doing a solo part about 9:50 in. It looks like he is a lefty who plays a right hander's guitar with the high strings on top and the low strings on the bottom. I wonder who he was/is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUrhgb13ft4
rhirvine

Re: Old Bob Wills video from 1951

Postby DagerRande » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:36 pm

Rich, are you saying that the guitarist doing the solo part at 9:50 was a Frizell? :D
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:22 pm

No not really, HA, HA. I'm just always intrigued by people especially guitarists who approach the instrument in a unorthodox way and play so well. I also admire Rory Hoffman playing guitar the way he does.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:35 pm

I got to meet and talk with Rory Hoffman a few years ago in Nashville and he is rather "extraterrestial" with respect to his talents! I purchased a CD from him and he played 6 instruments on that CD! He was accompanying Carolyn Martin when I saw him. She is a fairly established singer around Nashville and the only reason I went to see her was that her dad is Carl Martin, who is a retired TWA pilot and owns a Kirk Sand guitar that he let me play for several hours at one of the Texas Fingerstyle Guitar Association meetings that I attended when I lived in Texas in 2007 & 2008. He is in his late 80's now and told me he can't play any more, which of course was sad.

By the way, Rory Hoffman went on the road with Richard Smith and Brent Mason a couple of years ago and they are both fans of his!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Carl Martin » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:27 pm

Carolyn Martin is my daughter-in-law.Her husband is my son David. They live in Ft Wayne, IN now and David is the` session Basas player in the studio at Sweetwater Music. They do a Facebook live every `Wednesday evening.
You can search for Carolyn Martin Music.
Carl Martin

Postby DagerRande » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:19 pm

I'm sorry Carl, I somehow thought she was your daughter. Thanks for that clarification!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins