A Young Chet Picker

Watch and share videos from youtube

A Young Chet Picker

Postby LMark » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:53 pm

LMark

Re: A Young Chet Picker

Postby BillB » Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:55 am

That was great! I don't recognize him, but he's got it.

Bill Bailey
BillB

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:50 am

I really enjoyed his playing. He has the touch. I checked out some of his other videos. Man! Hei s excellent! Thanks for the link.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:43 pm

OK here's MY analysis! This is the one you've all been waiting for, I know. :-) I was impressed in different ways by different aspects of what I saw here.

1) First of all, I was impressed that he chose to do these songs on a steel string acoustic!

2) His accuracy and touch were very nice!

3) This seems very strange for performing at a JAZZ festival!

4) I noticed that he never braced his pinky on the guitar during the alternating thumb-bass parts. I've seen many people not brace their pinky during portions of a finger style arrangement but would usually place it on the guitar during the alternating thumb portions and then remove it for the other parts. This guy kept it off the guitar the entire time!

Richard Smith once explained to me that the other fingers move more freely when the fingers are all suspended. It makes sense but very difficult to do for someone like me who has always depended upon bracing the pinky for stability. Of course, I'm only talking about during the portion of the song that Paul Yandell despised being referred to as the "Boom-Chick" portion! :-)
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Hendrik » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:43 am

DagerRande wrote:OK here's MY analysis! This is the one you've all been waiting for, I know. :-) I was impressed in different ways by different aspects of what I saw here.

1) First of all, I was impressed that he chose to do these songs on a steel string acoustic!

2) His accuracy and touch were very nice!

3) This seems very strange for performing at a JAZZ festival!

4) I noticed that he never braced his pinky on the guitar during the alternating thumb-bass parts. I've seen many people not brace their pinky during portions of a finger style arrangement but would usually place it on the guitar during the alternating thumb portions and then remove it for the other parts. This guy kept it off the guitar the entire time!

Richard Smith once explained to me that the other fingers move more freely when the fingers are all suspended. It makes sense but very difficult to do for someone like me who has always depended upon bracing the pinky for stability. Of course, I'm only talking about during the portion of the song that Paul Yandell despised being referred to as the "Boom-Chick" portion! :-)

You told me about point 4 Rande. After you shared this story, I tried to tuck my anchored pinky when not playing "boom chick". I just can't do it, it feels 'amputated'. Even when I play Reed stuff, like banjo rolls, I'm most of the time achoring my pinky.
Hendrik

Postby Jim Jarrell » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:33 am

And from his youtube channel, it's interesting to note that Jamie plays primarily the harp guitar these days. It's very likely that he's a Stephen Bennett protege' . And it's also likely, if he were still with us, that Nokie would really like his take on "Apache."

Nokie with The Ventures playing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-Hc5abSVHA

Jamie Dupius' version on harp guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnVf85Ci3Ho

And it's also likely that, if Buster B. was still with us, he'd like Jamie's original tune "Buster Bee."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojhkmHm9lck

Great tune and I also see that he sells the tab for it at his website for only $3. Being, literally, a "pig for tabs," I'll be getting a copy!

Jim Jarrell
DeLand, FL
www.tabpigs.org
Jim Jarrell

Postby DagerRande » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:50 am

Hendrik, I have the same trouble but Richard insists that I would have more overall control of I never braced my pinky and allow of my fingers to be "free". I admire your interest and dedication to all of this. I know that you are relatively young and people in your generation are generally not attracted to this type of music. Then there is the issue of the patience required to learn it well because it is difficult and it's

Jim, I agree with you about all of the possible influences that you pointed out.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Vidar Lund » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:58 am

Vidar Lund

Postby DagerRande » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:05 pm

Vidar, that was interesting! The steel guitar lends itself well to a song like that!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:00 am

Thank you, Rande. My dad used to say that every instrument should sing, and that steel guitar really sings in a very tasteful way.
Vidar Lund

Next

Return to Video Files