Page 1 of 2

Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:11 pm
by keener
I've developed a few new tunes over the past couple of weeks. All are pretty short.

(1) "Thumpy" is a feel-good tune, 1:27 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SdKZ-dw93U

(2) "The Makings (of a Tune)" is kind of a "how to" for some Jerry licks. I start it out slow enough that you can see the fingering and then pick up the tempo to a more normal speed. Sorry that my "how-to's" are not the quality of Phil Hunt's, but hopefully they are still useful.

1:22 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YRApK2Ekhs

(3) "Goofy Me" is a tune I wrote for me. Has a Reed sort of pattern. Google got the audio and video out of phase in the conversion process, which frustrates me. 1:17 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=detp8IljJZU

(4) "For a Friend" is my initial attempt to play John Knowles' fantastic arrangement of Randy Newman's "Marie." I got it all wrong, but I put the video together for John so he could see he inspired me. I also ordered Issue 27 of John's Fingerstyle Quarterly, which has his transcription of his Beautiful arrangement. You may want to do the same: http://www.johnknowles.com/archives01.htm

56 seconds long: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyJo7aiSAiE

Thanks
Bruce

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:04 pm
by keener
I thought I'd give this post another bump.

It hasn't been viewed very much, so I thought it might have been overlooked. Of course, it could mean you folks are getting tired of me, too.

What was it Chet said? "Once you become predictable, no one's interested anymore."

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:03 pm
by RandeDager
Bruce, I was one of those by which for whom this post slipped. How's that for awkward English......lol? I never want you to feel ignored, so I stopped everything and listened to all of them. I especially liked the second one "The Makings of a Tune" with all of the Jerry sounding licks. You are smoothing out over time. Your finger movements are minimal, which makes it look easier than most people would find that it is, once they tried it. Thanks for sharing, my friend!

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:19 pm
by Roger Pratt
I'm always there for everything you post Bruce. Really nice picking. I am envious of your talent! :shock:

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:32 pm
by keener
Thanks Rande and Roger. Roger, there are lots better pickers to envy than me, but thank you.

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:27 am
by keener
Great philosophy, Jack!

By the way, your tabs are not silly ... They are a great resource. I don't use tabs very much, although I should, and I certainly have a bunch of them. But they can be invaluable.

Yer bud,
Bruce

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:16 pm
by Billy Anderson
Bruce, I'm sorry I am just now responding to your posts but it has been because of one death, one quadruple bypass, and a possible bad mammogram for various members of my family over the past 2-3 weeks. As of today, the bypass and mammogram folks are doing very well (bypass successful and mammogram turned out false) so I got finally got a chance to enjoy your postings.

Listen "Goofy", as a "Friend" (hopefully) through the CB, I just want you to know I will personally "Thump" you even goofier (given the opportunity) if you ever quit "Making Tunes" for all of us to enjoy. One last thing-the adoption option is still on the table. KOPAP. "Mickey M."

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:37 pm
by keener
Billy,

I'm so sorry for all the health issues placed before you.

Thank you for your kind words and your marvelous sense of humor. If you are going to keep on being so nice to me, maybe I'll have to give that adoption thing some thought. :)

Take care, my friend, and I hope all improves dramatically for you and those you love.

Bruce

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:45 pm
by bill_h
Good work Bruce! My Bruce Keener playlist just got a little bit longer.

Re: Some Home-Made Tunes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:21 am
by RandeDager
Jack, if I understand you correctly, you sound a lot like I WOULD BE if I were formally trained. . You write tabs but you don't use them to learn your music. I would only create them to preserve the "how to's" for what I've put together by ear and with my imagination.

Rande