Eva Cassidy

A place to share your music! Post and view audio links.

Eva Cassidy

Postby Rowbear39 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:20 pm

Does anyone on the board know of Eva Cassidy and her life story?--there is a Youtube videos of Nightline and from the BBC that tells her story and also a video of her singing in a DC nightclub--she has a fantastic voice, and she is, for the most part, relatively unknown, as she died of cancer at age 33, in 1996--she is big in England and has lots of fans, and I can see why, she is so good.
Rowbear39

Re: Eva Cassidy

Postby Norm » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 am

Hers is one of the most moving voices ever sung actually. Her dad was a guitarist and helped her develop that remarkably fitting style of accompaniment.

A couple of big labels looked at her but didn't know what to do with her, being she was so unique so the suits overruled the musicians who recommended her and they did nothing. That's a tragedy but, as I write this post, I wonder if they might have tried to force her into a mold and perhaps break the haunting beauty of her when it was just her and her guitar.

Listening to her nearly brings me to tears sometimes because her singing is so exquisite. I'm sorry she died so young but I am glad we at least have samples of what she had to offer.

Definitely one of a kind...

look for her on YouTube
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby George Beasley » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:37 am

Yes, Eva Cassidy was a great talent. I've been a fan since 2000 or so, when I heard a piece on NPR talking about the surprising popularity she received in England after some of song were brought over there after a tourist to DC came across her music. She has a voice that puts a chill up my spine most of the time. Songbird is ok, but not a favorite Eva showcase. I like her best when she really belts it out. The version of "God Bless The Child" that she and Chuck Brown recorded really shows her range. It still makes my hair stand up....especially from 1:40 on. Here is the link: http://youtu.be/FR2in-wlG9s
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:34 pm

Wow that was amazing! I really enjoyed that version of God Bless the Child. I listened to some of the other things she did with Chuck Brown. What a great voice. I'm like Norm, her voice really moves me and those songs where she just sang out were excellent. Her passing before her time was so sad.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby David Elliott » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:36 pm

Rowbear39 wrote:Does anyone on the board know of Eva Cassidy and her life story?--there is a Youtube videos of Nightline and from the BBC that tells her story and also a video of her singing in a DC nightclub--she has a fantastic voice, and she is, for the most part, relatively unknown, as she died of cancer at age 33, in 1996--she is big in England and has lots of fans, and I can see why, she is so good.

Hi "Rowbear"...

You are very correct in commenting on Eva's talent, and as Norm says, there are many recordings of Eva on YouTube!

I would point out also, that there is an excellent book on Eva's life, written by Rob Burley and Jonathan Maitland, with the help of Eva's Mom and Dad, and published in 2001 I believe, in the UK. This is an excellent read, and covers Eva's tragically short life from the time she was a baby, (with many photographs, poems, paintings and drawings, opinions, etc. (of which she expresses many), but most importantly, it portrays a young woman who was extraordinary in many ways, not only because of her musical abilities, but from the simple fact that she was a beautiful human being. The title of the book is, (appropriately), "Songbird", and WAS readily available on Amazon when I bought my copy in 2009 I believe. Definitely recommend!

This was always one of my favorites by Eva: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xL7JecwMxE

David Elliott
David Elliott

Postby Rowbear39 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:27 pm

yes, I'm glad others recognized her special place in the music world--I will definitely buy that book and read it--and I do hope they make a movie out of it, as she deserves to be showcased for her special achievements in her very short life--sad but beautiful story!!
Rowbear39

Return to Audio files