I couldn't resist the call of the siren 76 Super Chet!

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

I couldn't resist the call of the siren 76 Super Chet!

Postby MHargis » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I couldn't resist the call of the siren 7690 Super Chet!
Gretsch 7690 Super Chet 1976
Does anyone know this Gretsch? or
The past owner "Bill Rhodes" from Atlanta, Ga?
https://reverb.com/item/10644561-gretsc ... -1976-s144
I will post new pictures as soon as it gets here, till then link above.
Top Material: Maple Top
Body Material: Maple Body
Body Details: Maple top, back, and sides.
Neck Material: Maple Neck
Fingerboard Material: Ebony Fingerboard
Neck Profile: D
Neck Thickness (IN): 1st fret: .76", 12th fret: .92"
Fingerboard Radius: 12.00
Nut Width: 1-3/4 in
Neck Details: Three-piece maple/walnut/maple neck with triple-bound ebony fingerboard. Neck has been re-fretted.
Electronics: Pickups are original. Master volume control, along with volume and tone controls for each pickup. All electronic components are original except for the bridge tone pot that was replaced with an era-correct replacement. Jumper wires were added at the connecting points of the pickup leads and the harness.
Pickup Measurements: Bridge: 4.1K, Neck: 4.0K
Hardware: Bridge has been replaced. Neck has been re-fretted.
Weight: 8 lbs 4.9 oz
Modifications / Repairs: Bridge has been replaced. Neck has been re-fretted. Bridge tone pot was replaced with an era-correct replacement. Jumper wires were added at the connecting points of the pickup leads and the harness. Nut end of the fingerboard has been re-glued to the neck.
Case: Hardshell Case
Cosmetic Condition: Finish checking throughout guitar. Dings in binding. Buckle rash has worn through the finish on the back. Play wear on the back of the neck has worn through the finish on the treble side. Some areas of tear-out in the fingerboard from a previous re-fret.
It’s a Gretsch thing!
Michael Hargis
MHargis

Re: I couldn't resist the call of the siren 76 Super Chet!

Postby DagerRande » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:24 pm

I fell in love with that guitar when I first saw it in 1978! Audie Wykle owns one and has much more personal experience.
I've been told that one of Chet's album covers pictures him with this guitar but that he used a different one to record the album with.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby MHargis » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:08 am

I just ordered the album from ReverbLP
Attachments
superchet2.jpg
MHargis

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:43 pm

That's a great looking guitar. I think you are really going to enjoy it. Looking forward to seeing your photos of it.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby jean-luc » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:47 pm

I bought my Super Chet in 1979 (in France) for 8450 FF, currently about $1500
No. 1-8132 manufactured in January 1978.
Apparently the same
Regards,
Jean-Luc
Attachments
my Super Chet.jpg
jean-luc

Postby MHargis » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm

More on the Super Chet
Well my 1976 Super Chet will be here in a day or so, I am not worthy of this guitar, I have only started to learn 1 year ago. I have been a lead singer for over 40 years (I am 59y/o) and always loved the look of a hollowbody and how people could play them. Many times in the past I took lessons things just didn't click. So at the age of 58 I said to myself....Self....it's time to put your nose to the grindstone no matter what..My goal is not set high like before. I just want to play and sing around a campfire, just a hand full of old songs for Sing-a-longs. I have touched a guitar everyday 3 times or more, sometimes only for a min or two and sometimes for hours. On line lessons off Youtube and other players for a tip here and there. It's slow BUT it's working. I am up to 4 songs without adding choice words I learned in the Navy.
Now about that guitar that is coming... I could not afford or justify buying a guitar the can run 2k up to 7k? I am a Great entertainer ""Pat, Pat" but the cost of touring is high so the take home pay was lacking to say the least. So I bought a Silver semi-hollow Ibanez to learn on BUT the neck was to small at the nut and I was thudding the Cowboy cords. I have big hands. Then I found out the all guitars are not made the same! I Know! So I found a old 1950 Silvertone hollow body with a wide neck, 1.3/4 in, and things got better. I sold the Ibanez and made a dollar on it and so I started to buy and sell used guitars to make money to fund a nice guitar. As time went by the guitars got better and the more I learned about the brands and models the better the guitars got. It has only taken a little over a year and 135 deals to be able to buy the guitar of my dreams. Yeah, some guitars cost me money to sell but what I have learned is pricless. I love to Hot Rod and Theme out all kinds of guitars.
The Super Chet in route is not the best one on the shelve, no where near Mint and far from Excellent,But it will be mine to have and hold....and Play. The wiring is failing and some parts have been replaced but It's a true 1976 Super Chet. I will do a few things to make it the best it can be...for me.
If anyone wants to stop bye I will be glad to let you play it. I'm in Winterhaven Ca and St. David Az managing RV Parks
email; michael@michaelhargis.com
Link to the Super Chet that I bought; https://reverb.com/item/10644561-gretsc ... -1976-s144
P.S. If any one knows this guitar or the past owner (Name on the case) Please let me know, thanks.
MHargis

Postby MHargis » Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:04 pm

When it arrives I know I have some work to do on her, someone added jumpers to the failing wiring and the pots can't be trusted so I am looking at TV Jones Harness.
I am thinking about mounting everything in the body like the 6120.
I like that set up alot
I have these TV Jones pups I want to mount in it.
I'll size them up when the Super Chet arrives.
Also thinking mud s/w, like Chete's 72' or a full on varitone
Call me crazy
The parts that I am removing..... I'm thinking of a shadow box, I just ordered Chet's album with the Super Chet on the cover
If it was in better shape I wouldn't think of it, but it is failing. The Country Gent has holes in the body for pots so why not make this all it can be?
Attachments
IMG_4554.JPG
MHargis

Postby MHargis » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:26 pm

The Super Chet has arrived safe and sound.
I will post some pics as soon as I can stop playing it.
Sweeeeeeeettttttttt!!!!!!
MHargis

Postby MHargis » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 pm

And so it begins; Message to the Seller:
Hello, I received the Super Chet yesterday and have been running it through it's paces. I am both happy and un-happy with it.
I have always wanted one of these and it just fits my hands so I can play it. But... Here is what I have found that I would like you to address;

Guitar has a musty/BO smell coming from the inside (F holes), I asked 2 times if there was any smell to the guitar and was told No.
Guitar is very, very dirty. Needs to be pro cleaned.
Guitar's electronics in the pick guard have issues;
Top master Vol pot is grounding out/buzzing when touched also cuts out completely when adjusting on the fly.
The other 4 pots crackle and buzz with the bottom one cutting out completely when touched.

So bottom line, I still like the guitar but clearly it is not playable as is, as advertised.
I know that fixing the electronics in the pick guard would not be cost effective so I can modify the guitar by installing a new wiring harness like the G6120 for $145.00 If I do the labor.
And a pro cleaning with Ozone treatment cost $125 locally.
Will you compensate me for the above?
Thank you for your time,
Michael Hargis

I think this is very fare.....
The Pick Guard controls are toast............
MHargis

Postby Joeb » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:07 am

Hi Joeb here. I scored one off ebay from an oldtimer that wanted 1600.00 for it I snatched it up right on the spot. This guitar the super chet came in mint condition. The guy took good care of it. You will be happy once you get it fixed the way you want it. Mine came with almost a perfect setup. Have fun with your G7690 super chet. Joeb
Joeb

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment