JS-Chet Prototype

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: JS-Chet Prototype

Postby George Beasley » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:41 pm

That is such a beautiful guitar.

I understand the change in neck for Chet...but what is the "tone bar"? I know when Johnny was approached by Gibson to design an instrument, he went with x-bracing, a guitar fingerboard that touched the top all the way to the last fret, and floating pickups. Is the "tone bar" the sound post that Chet put under the bridge of some of his acoustic arch tops?

Anyway...even without the Johnny Smith and Chet connection, that guitar is wonderful looking.

Congratulations on having it!

thanks,
George
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Norm » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Tone bar might be a variation of the Gretsch "Trestle bracing" It would be someting connecting the top to the back in the area of the bridge. Increases sustain a bit, also.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby guitarchuck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Now I remember where I read about this guitar, it was listed in the Gibson Guitar Bible. It said it was made somewhere between March 1989 - March 1991. Now we know exactly when it was made: June 7, 1990. So I just updated my List of Chet Atkins Signature guitars:

http://www.misterguitar.us/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=560&p=3157#p3157
guitarchuck

guitarchuck

Postby guitarchuck » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:49 am

guitarchuck

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment