Re: marty stuart dvd update

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat May 29, 2021 9:34 am

Rande and Joe, my Folks and I always enjoyed Lawrence Welk, too. I still check out his guitarists - Neil Evang and Buddy Merrill - on Youtube. They mostly played with flat picks, but both did the occasional fingerstyle song using a flat pick for rhythm and 2 fingers for melody.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sat May 29, 2021 4:29 pm

Ray, I think the main reason that I place so much emphasis on fingerstyle is from the perspective of being a pure soloist with no backup. What Neil and Buddy were doing was perfectly appropriate for everything that was behind them. However, out in the middle of the woods on a campout, I would be driven completely crazy practicing with such an empty and incomplete sound!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Joeb » Sat May 29, 2021 5:33 pm

Lawarence Welk had Two great multi talented guitarists. BUDDY MERRILL AND NEIL LEVANG not to mention the great swing big band musicians. Joe
Joeb

Postby Joeb » Sat May 29, 2021 6:39 pm

Lawrence had 2 great guitarist BUDDY MERRILL and NEIL LEVANG and an amazing band too boot. Good clean music and fun . I love living in the past sometimes because this new world is not for me. I'm 72 years old and loved the good old days. Joe
Joeb

Postby DagerRande » Mon May 31, 2021 8:22 am

Joe, if you don't mind I'd like to know when your birthday is? I'm asking because I too am 72 as of March 9.

thanks!

Rande
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby abaggetta » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:26 am

Also loved Buddy Merril and Neil Lavang on the Welk show. Always watched in hopes that they would perform that evening. Buddy went on to record several albums, one of the in the Les Paul vain of multiple recordings. He also had a Hawaiian guitar album as well, as I recall. I've found several of his performances on YouTube, but one I remember has escaped recording, evidently. He preformed "When The Red Red Robin Come Bob Bob Bobbin' Along." Wish I could find that, he did a great job on it. I'm not sure but I don't think Chet ever recorded this one.
abaggetta

Postby DagerRande » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:27 pm

Al, I watched Lawrence Welk long before I ever heard of Chet in 1962 and I'll never forget the "incompleteness" I felt when I heard Buddy and Neil. I knew how they would sound without their backup and I never enjoyed the empty sound I heard when I practiced with my flat pick and had a HUGE burning desire to provide my own bass and harmony! Once I heard Chet, my life and direction was forever changed!!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Previous

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE