Lenny Breau backing rock-a-billy singers

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Lenny Breau backing rock-a-billy singers

Postby rhirvine » Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:51 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl7k4yDSSXg&t=318s

I thought that some of you might be interested in this audio clip. I guess Lenny was already so good in his mid to late teens that he was used in recording studios. You can imagine, there was only a small handful of guitarists that could do those licks.
rhirvine

Re: Lenny Breau backing rock-a-billy singers

Postby Doug Working » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:49 pm

Incredible! Just incredible!!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:04 pm

I have a slightly different view of Lenny. It's not so much about how well he played the guitar and his technique, but more about how he processed and arranged the music in his mind! This clip doesn't convey this but his solo work and how he put songs together or his spontaneous arranging as he plays through a song. That's his genius in my mind! The technique can be developed through practice to some extent Yes, I know that we all have physical limitations, but what he was able to do was a result of combining his practice with raw genetic talent!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:51 pm

It amazes (present tense) how quickly he learned and how versatile he was. I mean what he was playing by the time I came along as a fan, I think in 1968 was a far cry from what he played to make money as a teen. To tell you the truth, by the time I was listening to rock'n'roll stations and buying 45 RPM singles, I had never heard of the term rock'a'billy or the artists who played except for Jerry Lee Lewis. By that time Elvis was doing mostly ballads. I never even heard of Buddy Holly until a biographical movie came out about him. I guess the main reason is that the AM stations that I listened to only played new stuff not oldies because as I heard Rush Limbaugh say "You won't get fired because of stuff you don't play" remember Payola? Rock'n'Roll in the Los Angeles area was only about the latest hits usually top 10. It wasn't until K-Earth that old rock started to be aired again.
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:53 pm

What is K Earth?
Doug Working

Postby rhirvine » Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:15 pm

I should have explained it better. KRTH 101.1 is an FM station in the L.A. area which played oldies from it's inception. Sorry about that guys.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:34 pm

Rich, I never listened to it very much but having lived out there for so long, I was certainly familiar with it!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks! I was totally stumped!
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins