Richard Smith & Joscho Stephan duet

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Richard Smith & Joscho Stephan duet

Postby rhirvine » Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:20 pm

I love these two together almost more than Joscho and Tommy Emmanuel. They can improvise so bloody well (I'm American but I like to use that expression sometimes). Richard and Joscho I think really like playing together and bringing out the best in each other. Maybe Joscho was a child prodigy also. Richard Smith and Joscho Stephan both never seem to run out of ideas to play in a given song. I'm thinking that Tommy E. discovered Joscho in Europe and introduced him to the Nashville and finger picking world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4EfuYb ... rt_radio=1
rhirvine

Re: Richard Smith & Joscho Stephan duet

Postby DagerRande » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:57 pm

Rich, I've never seen Joscho playing fingerstyle, but I can see that didn't last long here! I once heard a rather lengthy interview with Joscho and he is a "monster practicer"! He emphasized his love of practicing and how important precision is to him, especially at high speeds. He and Richard both have such good technique that they can tackle about anything without much advance practice other than for who is going to do what and when.

Another huge advocate for practicing is Joe Robinson. He talked about getting up at 4:00 am and spending 3 or 4 hours working on scales and exercises just for technique work!

I love this too but I don't have the time in my life that these guys do to focus just on this, so I have to make it count.
At least I practice every day!

Thanks for posting this!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Richard Smith & Joscho Stephan duet

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:14 am

That was great and fun to watch. I really enjoyed it. Thanks for posting it.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins