Page 1 of 1
back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:22 pm
by ovangkol
Hi, does anyone has the tab for "Back to Old Smokey Mountain"? Freted instruments has the tab, but when I click on download tab, it shows can't find page. So if anyone has the tab, can you please eamil it to me? Thank you.
email(
africaovangkol@gmail.com)
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:04 pm
by craigdobbins
My transcription (from my book The Chet Atkins Collection) is available as an individual download from my website:
http://www.craigdobbins.com/downloads-other.htmlIncludes notation/tab, chord diagrams, and performance notes from the book.
Thanks,
Craig
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:17 pm
by ovangkol
thank you, but the one i want is the hard one, not just play on the first position, like this gentleman played(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0FFDPd9IQ)
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:36 pm
by craigdobbins
I'm not sure what you mean by "the hard one", but mine is the note-for-note transcription of the entire tune as played by Chet Atkins (including all the verses and key changes, as well as Chet's backup parts) from the "Hometown Guitar" LP. The entire tab is 11 pages long.
Thanks,
Craig
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm
by Terry Tolley
I'm not sure what is meant by the hard one either, because Chet's version is definitely NOT easy, nor is it all in the first position!! I have the Chet Atkins Collection that is mentioned here....easy it is NOT. I am not taking anything away from the great job that the gentleman's YouTube post showed, but Chet's version is all of what his is...and more. If you want an arrangement that is challenging and great sounding, then Chet's version is definitely the way to go! Chet was about making the melody stand out while at the same time providing all the necessary bass and rythym, all with just his two hands and his guitar. Of course, the Anita Kerr Singers and I presume, Charlie McCoy just add more to it.
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:58 pm
by ovangkol
sorry Craig, my mistake, is your version similar(chords) to that gentleman from youtube?
I once saw some other people play that song mostly on the first position, I was mistaken that your version is like that, sorry.
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:14 am
by craigdobbins
Sorry to be late in getting back to you. As Jack said, the arrangement on my site is Chet Atkins' version. Here's Chet's recording:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlBp5_WGXJcThanks,
Craig
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:28 am
by RandeDager
Jack, I think I'll have to agree with you. When I meet any Chet lovers under 50 it always seems like it was due to their parents' interest. Not many stumble upon him on their own, although YouTube has changed a lot of that. I also appreciate this board for the reasons you mentioned. I'm just surprised that it existed for 6 years before I ever discovered it!
Re: back to old smokey mountain tab?

Posted:
Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:16 pm
by RandeDager
Jack, I appreciate what you've done and are doing to "keep Chet alive" and increasing the awareness among
the public.