Page 1 of 1

Well, I have taken a few...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm
by Randy Finney
...pucks to the face but, I got stitched up during the commercial break and I am back on the ice.

There is a lot of information and it is taking me some time to figure out the best way to wrestle it to the ground so that we can all use it effectively.

I think we're gonna win.

http://readmylicks.com/

Randy

Re: Well, I have taken a few...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:12 pm
by guitarchuck
Randy,
I haven't commented, but I think this project that you are doing is going to be great!

Re: Well, I have taken a few...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:31 am
by Norm
This
http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/ ... ins%20Chet

seems to be a pretty good listing of Chet's material. You might think of refining it to suit...

Re: Well, I have taken a few...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:05 am
by Randy Finney
guitarchuck wrote:Randy,
I haven't commented, but I think this project that you are doing is going to be great!


The world needs more people with your optimistic attitude.

Norm wrote:This
http://countrydiscography.blogspot.com/ ... ins%20Chet

seems to be a pretty good listing of Chet's material. You might think of refining it to suit...


Thanks Norm.

Yes, I am aware of the website you mention. Actually - although for sure some of my information is incorrect and/or incomplete - it is not collecting the information that is my focus at the moment.

My Chet Database contains 33,656 cells of information on Chet's recordings.

My challenge is to present this information in a user friendly way while at the same time ensuring that it is dynamic enough to be manipulated and extracted globally. Once I figure out best way to do this, I can rely on you guys to correct my errors.

For example, Jean-Luc has pointed out that I have the release date of the Bear Family Early Years collection incorrect (I used the High Rockin Swing release date). There are over 100 tracks on this collection so it will appear on the site this many times. It is easy to correct this globally in the database on my computer but, I need to make sure that errors can be corrected easily on the website as well because correcting each instance manually will not be functional.

I am sure this can be done even with the simple Wordpress framework I am using. It is likely just a question of finding the best Plugin for an effective and efficient search and replace process.

I did attempt to put larger portions of the database on the web via Google Docs, Windows Live, etc. but, it was difficult to create a user friendly interface with the data - it was just a way to view the raw data which is more or less pointless.

Once we have refined the data and have ran it through the pedagogical ringer a few times, which will result in 100's of 1,000's of cells, we'll move to a more advanced content management system for the website.


Keep the comments and opinions coming - they are fuel for me.

Randy