stenosing flexor tenosynovitis of the thumb

Need help? Don't know how to embed youtube videos? Can't listen to mp3's on the forum? Problems browsing the Chetboard? Find the solution here!

stenosing flexor tenosynovitis of the thumb

Postby Tom Workman » Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:17 pm

Now, how's that for a subject! That is a fancy name for "trigger-thumb" which I have recently developed on my fretting hand. As many of us finger-pickers do, I frequently wrap my thumb around to grab the low E string and sometimes both the E and A strings to form some chord shapes, such as a 6-9 for example. Anyway, I've been playing like this for many years without a problem and then all of a sudden when I woke up one morning, my thumb was locking and popping and later became really sore making it very painful to play guitar. Of course, I read up on the various treatments for this but, I was wondering if any of you had ever dealt with something like this, were you able to get it resolved and how? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I like to play some every day and this is extremely frustrating for me. Thank you and regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Re: stenosing flexor tenosynovitis of the thumb

Postby Ray Bohlken » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:31 am

Tom, I have that problem, too, in my thumbs and fingers. I asked for a referral from my family doctor to an orthopedic practice. I was examined and the doctor said I could have surgery to correct it. I rejected that option and asked about injections. I got a series of 2 injections from PA at the practice at the base of my fingers close to the knuckle joint and the base of my thumbs. Those worked great and relieved the problem for me for several months. I had another series later on, but I've since decided to live with the problem. It's still on going, but I just deal with it. That was a while ago and I don't know what the current treatment is. I hope this helps.
Take care,
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Tom Workman » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:33 am

Ray, thanks so much for responding and your input. My daughter, who is an occupational rehabilitation therapist at a major hospital advised me to initially try the conservative approach by resting my hand (no guitar-playing for a while-ugh!), icing it several times a day and doing stretching exercises. if that doesn't work, I guess I'll try the shots but, as is apparent in your case, the problem returns and then the only option seems to be surgery. I am curious as to why you declined the surgery option? One of my friends is a really great fiddle player and he had carpal tunnel surgery which is kind of similar and it was a successful and permanent fix. Thanks again, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:20 am

I had the shots about 5 years ago at age 75 or so. I just didn't want to go through surgery and rehab at that age. I didn't know how long the recovery would be or if the results would be worth that effort. Good luck in your hand healing process.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Tom Workman » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:43 pm

Thanks again, Ray. I'm going to give it a little time and if it doesn't improve I suppose I'll try the shot first and see what happens. I'm fortunate that at age 71, I can still play and learn new material as well as I ever have so it's important to me to get this resolved whatever it takes. Although I no longer play professionally, I still play in some benefit concerts, in church, etc. and still have an intense passion for making music so we'll see what develops. Regards, Tom W.
Tom Workman

Return to Support