Answer to our nail problems?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Answer to our nail problems?

Postby Doug Working » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:36 pm

Thanks for the links!

So far, I can see a nice, visible improvement in the appearance of my nails, but of course, I need to test this over a couple months before I come to a definite accessment.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:05 pm

My nails are looking noticeably better, after just a few days. No more visible cracks or tears...but I'm afraid to look a gift horse in the mouth. Previously the tears and splits were like every week.

I'll still give it a month or two to make a final judgement.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:25 pm

Still going strong on this. No visible cracks or tears, and that is just not something I have enjoyed for YEARS. They have actually gotten long enough so that I can round them, and usually I'll get one or two at the most, with a third one tearing up. Then by the time that third one grows out decent, one of the others breaks. So they "take turns," and I can never seem to have three good ones at once.

But they look nice. Getting longer by the day, and I've been daily using a super strong magnifying glass to inspect them, to see if there are any minute cracks or tears that I can't see. But so far, perfect. And I am actually able to PRACTICE without having to focus on the left hand because the nails on the right are screwed up for two or three weeks.

Keep my fngers crossed.

The instructions say it takes a good 100 days or so to grow out a full nail from the cuticle. And the improvements are supposed to start from the cuticle out. So after 100 days, one should see the whole effect.

I'm almost afraid to look to much with the magnifying glass, or I might break the spell.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Tue May 14, 2019 6:53 pm

I think it's been close to a hundred days since I started using the Flexi-nail. Time for me to come to a final conclusion about this product, thumbs up, or thumbs down. I think I got to say thumbs up.

During these days, my previous problem of splintering nails has completely ceased. I haven't had one broken nail. Sometimes I think I'm dreaming. It feels so unreal. I know it takes time for the nail to grow out from the cuticle, but I think the instructions said to wait 100 days to judge results.

So I have used it faithfully every day. Smells pleasant. No offensive odor. Not a "hardener" that simply coats the nail. It actually penetrates into the surface of the nail.

Anyway, this must be a good sign. I know for a fact that before I started using it, I had to deal with continual interruptions in my practice because the doggone nail was developing a tear. Then just about the time that had grown back out, ANOTHER one would tear! So my nails took shifts, leaving my practicing time constantly interrupted. My frustration knew no bounds.

But I have peace now. My nails are long, flexible, strong and healthy. I think I've found my answer. I'm almost at the end of my second bottle. Time to re-order.
Doug Working

Postby rhirvine » Wed May 15, 2019 1:50 pm

Thanks Doug for your testimonial on the fingernail product. It is pricey but I will probably now go ahead and try it. Glad it worked for you.
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 pm

My pleasure.

Yup. I made myself the Guinea pig, because I was desperate! Can't even begin to tell you how desperate I was, which is why I took the plunge. I have bottles and bottles in my drawer of various hardeners which only masked the problem. I've spent a fortune on nail hardeners and other Sally Hansen type products. I'm trashing them. No longer need them.

When I first got the Flexi-nail I really went overboard. I slathered it on pretty heavy, out of desperation and impatience. But amazingly, I started seeing results pretty immediately. Didn't take long at all. And the instructions admonish to give it time to work because your nail takes time to grow from the cuticle out to the tip.

I now have an actual thumbnail on my right hand in case I desire to switch to straight classical style. Before I tried that for years (to grow out the thumbnail) but over and over it would break off just about the time it was long enough to do the job. And went through that dozens of times, thinking this time will be my lucky day. But the lucky day never cane till I applied the flexi-nail.

So, anyway, that wasn't a major thing, because I was sticking to my Chet style thumb pick. But it's nice to have the option.

You simply brush it on. It doesn't evaporate. Smells pleasant. Then you let it set for as long as you desire so that it can absorb into the surface of the nail. Then you take your other thumb and simply rub it in. Simple.

I'm a cappy hamper. This company has my business for life.

And if it works for my friends, I'll be double happy.
Doug Working

Postby Doug Working » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:08 pm

Well, when I first ordered they sent me two bottles. I use it religiously. And my nail problems DISSAPEARED. I didn't have a broken or torn nail during all those months. It was heaven on earth.

Then I eventually ran out. Intended to buy some more, but money has been short. So I went weeks without applying it.

And guess what? Yup. My nails are once again tearing. Have to do a special in church next Saturday with a broken nail.

But I learned my lesson. Don't run out of money and don't run out of Flexinail.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:35 pm

Doug, I remember you talking about this a while back but I already had M-Nail Magic which was recommended by Rick Allred. It was doing great but just before the CAAS convention last week in Nashville, one of my nails broke while simply opening a door and this effected any of the accuracy that I had developed with the metronome over the past few months. Other than socially, I kept a rather low profile and didn't perform like I had expected.

I may try this product, Doug, and see if it seems better? I can't make myself go back to acrylics, which I did for 18 years. Thanks!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:56 pm

I'm a believer. Mainly because my nails stopped tearing and breaking when I was using it. Then when I stopped, quickly the same old problems came back. That tells me what I need to know.

So I did that special in church. It was not easy with one broken nail. But I got through it. But let me say this much: pickin' with good nails beats the heck out of trying to pick with broken nails, any day of the week.

I get some money coming in in a couple a couple weeks, and I'm heading straight for Flexi-nail website so I can be happy again.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:00 pm

I tried to order it via my Amazon Prime account and the delivery date I was given was in the first week of August, so I canceled it. I'll be leaving town before that and I can't have it sitting outside while I'm gone. I was quite surprised because most things from them come in 1 or 2 days. This must be hand-made by someone in someplace like China! Maybe it's made by illegal American immigrants crossing Chinese borders and there's lots of "red tape" to facilitate the process. :D
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins