7 string guitar magic!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

7 string guitar magic!

Postby Doug Working » Sun May 24, 2020 12:25 am

I admit, I had never heard of a 7 string guitar until 10 minutes ago! But this pretty lady’s playing of Bach’s C major clavier prelude is absolutely the most heavenly, stunningly beautiful rendition I have ever heard! And i’ve heard a plethora of versions of the piece!

The 7’th string doesn’t chime in till the end of the piece, but those bass notes are heaven for the ears!

Her playing sounds as close to harpsichord as a guitar can possibly get!

Honest, I am amazed by this performance, and I think Bach would be proud!

https://youtu.be/5Tj9T9BFaJc
Doug Working

Re: 7 string guitar magic!

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun May 24, 2020 10:16 am

This was great, Doug. I enjoyed her playing. Lenny Breau played a 7 string guitar. Here is a link to a video of he and Chet playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" that I like. It is a poor quality video, but the playing is great.
Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dp809Zi9lE
Ray Bohlken

Postby rhirvine » Sun May 24, 2020 11:52 am

Thanks guys! I really enjoyed both clips. Lenny Breau had a 7 string with the range extended on the high end. I couldn't tell if the lady's guitar has an extra low string or extra high string. She sure plays nicely though.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Sun May 24, 2020 1:38 pm

So Rich, you never heard George Van Epps or Bucky Pizarelli? They are the first guys who I ever heard play one of these. By the way, Lenny Breau also had one, but the difference with him was that his 7th string was on the high end!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rhirvine » Mon May 25, 2020 12:11 pm

I don't know what would make you think that Rande. I went to see George Van Epps perform a long time ago at a Valley club called Donte's. He was in fine form as I suspect he always was. We had discussed Bucky Pitzereli's plaing on this site shortly after he died. His son also plays a seven string electric guitar. A lesser known jazz guitarist named Harold Alden also plays a seven string guitar. I went out to see him a couple of times when he was performing in the L.A. area.
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Mon May 25, 2020 6:37 pm

I thought I remembered you telling me that before, Rich, but when I read your opening statement "I admit, I had never heard of a 7 string guitar until 10 minutes ago!" I guess I was confused?
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Tue May 26, 2020 9:06 am

To be honest, that prelude by Bach that she is playing (originally written for harpsichord I believe) is NOT an easy piece to play. I’ve been working on it for years in C Major, and I’ve heard numerous renditions of it.

Parkrning plays it beautifully capoed at 2 with drop D, https://youtu.be/cJEm8P4zFYI and I always admired his version. And others have done it in different ways, but her rendition is ethereal. Closest I think to what Bach originally intended.

I’ve been working on it for years myself, which is why I can tell you it’s not easy. I’m almost to the point where I can make it sound presentable.

I was amazed, though, kind of getting off subject here, at Chet’s incredible playing of a Bach piece with the solo sessions set! I tried that one and couldn’t even get through the first couple bars of the arrangement!
Doug Working

Postby rhirvine » Tue May 26, 2020 3:56 pm

Rande. I now understand the reason for the confusion. Doug Working started this subject about the elegant 7 string guitar playing of the young lady with "I had never heard of a 7 string guitar before". I did not. I am glad Doug posted this because I got to listen and see her playing whereas I probably wouldn't have otherwise. Myself, I never wanted to try a 7 string guitar as I have enough trouble with 6 strings and probably should have stuck with the ukelele that I first started to play when I was 12 or 13. :D
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Tue May 26, 2020 7:52 pm

Rich, I'm glad you went beyond the ukelele! It wouldn't be full enough and there would be so many chords that would be impossible to play on it!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Wed May 27, 2020 8:57 am

Sorry about the confusion, guys!
Doug Working

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins