Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish

Postby DagerRande » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Richards told us that there were actually words to this!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Girlfriend of the Whirling Dervish

Postby Doug Working » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:49 pm

Another great old Chet classic given a new lease on life!
Doug Working

Postby rhirvine » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:01 pm

I remember when I first heard Chet play this on some album. I was driving from George AFB near Victorville, CA where i was stationed to my parents home in Torrance,CA. I stopped at a Wallich's Music City store where one could play LP's before buying and I happened upon this tune and loved it. I bought the album there and played it many many times. I think I might have learned some of the Whirling Dervish tune. My father told me the lyrics which I had never heard before. It was overall a great experience for me. I would love to see Richard Smith play is version live. I'd better get on his emailing list.
rhirvine

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 am

Rande, that was a great version of The Girlfriend Of The Whirling Dervish. I loved Chet's vereion of it and Richard came up with his own great arrangement of the song. Thanks for sharing this.
I saw Richard play at the 2017 CAAS and really enjoyed his show. I got some video, but my photo-journalism skills are way below par and the video is painful to watch or I would share it. He was great then, too.
Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:05 pm

Ray, I consider Richard's version to be more than just a "different" version from Chet's. Richard does a few very difficult things that I would never assume someone else could handle just because they can play Chet's version. Richard's arrangements are full of little subtle surprises!

I keep forgetting that you and I were both at CAAS and never crossed paths!

Maybe next year? We'll probably need a diversion from the emotional intensity of "election season"!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Rande, I think Richard's arrangement was unique and special, too. I admire his technique and his musical thinking. I learned a Chet like version, but it is still a raw thing even many years of doing it. Wish I could play it and everything better.
I wish you and I had had a chance to get together at a convention, but when we weren't at a concert, my wife and I were usually off touring somewhere - The Hermitage, Studio B, the CMHOF, the Ryman, Gruhn Guitars, a show at the Opryland Hotel. We always had a good time there, doing other things. In 2017, the drive wore us out and we kind of napped most of Wednesday and the constant walk from our room to the elavators to the convention area and back was very tiring. We went to a few concerts and I played an open mike, but mostly we rested. I don't think we'll be coming to another convention as much as I would enjoy it. You're right about the political stuff, though...it will be intense. We're going through VA state election campaigns for this year right now and that's just the beginning.
Take care, Rande.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:47 am

Ray, that's sad that not only will you not be coming to the convention in 2020 but that you've decided that you won't be coming again at all! :-( I understand though, considering the way you described your 2017 experience. I'm single, so I'm not compelled to do other things around town, although maybe in your case you wanted to? I stay with a former student and his wife. I have to worry about not treating them like a "hotel" and only going back to their place to sleep, in spite of their gracious attitude and reminding me why I even went down there!

I wish I felt differently about the "open mic", but I guess I've told you my experience regarding that.

Well Ray, I consider you to be one of my closer online friends and have always respected your supportiveness toward all posts in response to videos that others have posted.

We'll just have to take advantage of today's technology and stay in touch!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:36 pm

Rande, you always have interesting posts, comments, and ideas, and I look forward to staying friends and staying in touch through technology. If we suddenly get a surge of energy down the road, I reserve the righr to change my mind and show uo at C.A.A.S. :)
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks, Ray. I don't know what it is but I have so many strong opinions and beliefs and sometimes I want to explode when I think of getting them out. If I hadn't worried about my responsibility to support a family, I would have wanted to be a writer, which is known to be unstable and unpredictable. However, I've been able to contribute to society in other ways.

I'm glad that technology allows me to share my thoughts at least in small ways. I hope that we meet some day, Ray!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins