Roy Clark playing Chet's style

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Roy Clark playing Chet's style

Postby rhirvine » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:53 am

I watched a Hee Haw show on RFD TV over the past weekend and I was delighted to see Roy Clark play the basic Chet style using a thumb pick to help back himself up on a vocal number. I had never seen him do that before. He played the guitar parts nicely. He was a very versatile player of stringed instruments especially guitar. I wish I had more particulars on it but I don't.
rhirvine

Re: Roy Clark playing Chet's style

Postby Doug Working » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:00 pm

No doubt Roy was no slouch! The man could pick! "The Lightning Fngers Of Roy Clark" was one of my favorite albums..

I think there are some vids on Y'tube of him and Chet playing together. (Don't quote me on that.)

Of course, normally his picking style was a different world than Chet's. My dad (rest his soul) loved Roy and thought he could " really pick it out" (his words) but dad couldn't see any merit in Chet's playing. Therefore, (he knew I loved Chet) when Roy would come on TV my dad would slather on the lavish praise, but when Chet came on he would mock me for having him as my hero. And mocked and denigrated Chet, too. It was quite painful. Traumatic? Could be. Ended up with me in my room, wounded and balling. My boy's mind simply could NOT grasp why dad didn't love Chet's playing as I did.

One time Chet came on playing "Zorba The Greek," and we all know how excruciatingly slow that starts out, and dad just layed into him. "See? He can't pick!! Look how slow he is! Roy Clark is way better!" He may as well took a whip and lacerated my back. That's how much it hurt.

But none of that has changed me. I remain unrepentant. Incorrigible! Dad is gone as of 2,006, and I'm still here, and Chet is still my hero, but I still love Roy's pickin', because Roy was a fabulous picker. Not to mention that (like Barbara Mandrell) he could pick up just about any instrument and play it.

But then again, on second thought, Chet could play the fiddle and I believe the uke, if I'm not mistaken.

Anyway, Chet will ever remain Mr Guitar. :)
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins