"Gallopin' Guitar." Nice gift!!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

"Gallopin' Guitar." Nice gift!!

Postby Doug Working » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Had a nice surprise the other day.

Me and my wife are separated. Mist likely will divorce when I come up with the bucks. We live about 700 miles apart.

All that said, I got a text from her yesterday. Sent me a photo of Chet's "Gallopin' Guitar" album. Circa 1953??

I assumed she was just trying to be nice or start a conversation with me and figured she got the photo off the internet.

Turns out, she was going through stuff in her house, looking for her dad's death certificate, and stumbled upon the album, snapped a photo, and was wanting to know if she can give it to me.

What could I say? I told her I don't have a record player, but could not possibly turn down a copy of Chet's first album!!

Merry Christmas to me!
Doug Working

Re: "Gallopin' Guitar." Nice gift!!

Postby rhirvine » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:13 pm

Sounds like a very nice Christmas gift Doug. I also have no way to play vinyl LP's for years now.

Rich
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:06 pm

I'm wondering what kind of condition is in. Mint would be nice, lol!

Anyway, I'm sure e-bay has record players. I've just never bothered with it, because all my Chet records are now on CD.

Either way, it will be awesome to set on my mantle and gaze at with wonder as I make my fngers sore, trying to sound like my hero.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Vidar Lund » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:32 pm

This is an offer you can´t refuse. Imagine, Chet´s first album! A record player should be easy to find, as more and more artists release their albums on LPs nowadays in addition to (or even rather than) CDs. I have kept my good old Dual CS 714 record player with its Pickering XSV 5000 magnetic pickup. It´s still in use regularly.
Vidar Lund

Postby Doug Working » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:08 pm

Yup. Good ol' record players! Sure brings nostalgic memories!

It was an old fashioned record player (that my mom had won at Bingo as a door prize) that spun the first Chet album my young ears had ever heard. Circa 1968 or '69. So in a very real way, that cheap record player inexorably altered the destiny of my life.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins