Peavey Delta Blues Upgrade Advice?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Peavey Delta Blues Upgrade Advice?

Postby Vidar Lund » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:40 am

Thanks to those who have answered me personally. It´s good to have so much knowledge on this board!
Vidar Lund

Postby LMark » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Finger tight. You also want to tighten the nuts on that JBL finger tight only. Otherwise you will distort the frame. LMark
LMark

Postby Bryan B. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:38 am

Hi all,

The upgrades to my Delta Blues are now completed and wow...it sounds great.

I put in a Weber NeoMag 15 speaker which is their version of a JBL D130, I ordered it like the original D130 (not D130F), smooth cone, no dope with the aluminium dust cover.

I replaced the pre-amp tubes with JJ Electronics ECC83S (12AX7).

It is now very smooth, lots of headroom on the clean channel...it is a winner.

Thank you for your relies to my post.

Bryan
Bryan B.

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 am

I installed a grill-guard to protect the tubes which comes in handy when there is a need to lean the amp back in a chair. I got it off eBay and they are still available when I checked last. It is simple and easy to install with 4 screws, although you have to remove the power tubes as I recall.

Tube Guard - http://cgi.ebay.com/TubeGuard-PEAVEY-DE ... 2189wt_932

Thanks,
Ronnie Evans
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:43 am

I installed a grill-guard to protect the tubes which comes in handy when there is a need to lean the amp back in a chair. I got it off eBay and they are still available when I checked last. It is simple and easy to install with 4 screws, although you have to remove the power tubes as I recall.

Tube Guard - http://cgi.ebay.com/TubeGuard-PEAVEY-DE ... 2189wt_932

Thanks,
Ronnie Evans
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Bryan B. » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:21 am

My amplifier is a current model and it has a tube cage already on it, the cage also has rubber strips on the botttom that contact the tubes, solving the tube rattle problem too.

Bryan
Bryan B.

Postby tyguy » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:11 pm

Bryan B. wrote:My amplifier is a current model and it has a tube cage already on it, the cage also has rubber strips on the botttom that contact the tubes, solving the tube rattle problem too.

Bryan

My old Fender amps have a wood back panel strip which covers the tubes.The Peavey back(no panel)is just poor design(I'd worry about breakin' the tubes also).I like the rubber strip idea especially with a 15" spkr.(lotta bass).Some purists would say dampening the tubes on a 10" or 12" speaker design would kill harmonic regeneration(physical energy from the spkr. going back into the tubes as they are being played).I don't play loud enough anymore for any of that to matter and it may be hype anyway.I've never had a tube rattle problem.It's usually a bad tube in a Fender amp but I've never used a 15" spkr. much,as they always sounded stiff to me but I'm sure I didn't have the right speaker or cabinet. The Best, Ty M.
tyguy

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins